[C320-list] Single Handed Sailing

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 09:39:11 PST 2022

"Grab the mooring pendant from the cockpit"

I'm glad this works for you.  Just be mindful that picking up the pendant
from the cockpit does have the risk of getting the bridal or pendant lines
caught in prop wash and sucked down to foul your prop.  Gave me quite a
scare last season when this happened on getting off our mooring when on a
light wind day the powerboat directly downwind of me and spun swing exactly
opposite of our swing, right when we were disconnecting, and I had no where
to go but forward (our mooring field is tight), and couldn't clear our
mooring lines, and before I knew it was fouled on the pendant line, while
no longer connected to our bridal/mooring.  Had to emergency drop anchor.
And it took diving into the water and unhooking our bridal from our mooring
ball to unfoul and free.  Really gave me quite the scare.  Fortunately, I
was in very low RPM, and killed the engine immediately (but unfortunately
already fouled), and no damage down to prop shaft.  But it could have been
real bad.