[C320-list] Good stuffing box trick

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 14 19:22:01 PDT 2022

Well, so far so good on the waterproof axle grease in the stuffing box. I probably have 20 hours on it with no problems at all.

The diesel guy  I hired has been doing it this way for maybe 15 years as he services cruising boats in Boot Key Harbor on their way to the Bahamas and the Caribbean, so I suspect he has had enough feedback to know whether his particular methods works.

I also suspect the grease warning has something to do with the possibility of people using the wrong type of grease.  Waterproof axle grease is thin and made for the wheels on boat trailers, which is different from say the thick grease used in other applications.

There’s actually a long tradition of greasing stuffing boxes. Particularly in Britain, many stuffing boxes used to have grease nipples on them.

I’ll see, I guess.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.