[C320-list] Motor mount change out

Ken kspir4 at cox.net
Thu Jun 23 06:13:03 PDT 2022

Ahoy,
Looking for advice on motor mount change outs.  During shakedown this year I noticed some vibration in the shaft and heating in the shaft seal.  Once in the slip, I put trans in neutral and could easily turn the shaft in both directions by hand from down below (so it’s not the seal). Started the engine (yanmar 3ym30) and shaft vibrated in what appeared to be a bit up/down and left to right.  Engine starts easily and sounds good when running (so doesn’t appear to be a cylinder issue). I checked the motor mounts and all seem to be in various states of wear.  One or two appear o have upper metal cover in contact with lower metal base.  Fairly certain mounts are the root cause.
I’m ordering two 100s for forward and two 75s for aft.  Is there any advice on:
(1) how to lift the engine (e.g., where the lifting points are To lift from above or what kind of Jack fits underneath and where to place it to lift from below)
(2) is it necessary to remove the support brackets (The bracket that connect the top of the mount to the engine) for each Mount?  Likely have to remove that bracket for the port aft mount due to accessibility (or lack there of).
(3) any other advice for the changeout or the subsequent alignment?  I have the basic process down for alignment but welcome any advice not included in the owners manual.
Many thanks,
Ken
MoonDancer 1089
2006