[C320-list] ENGINE FUEL PRIME

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri May 13 08:44:13 PDT 2022

Racor sells a pressure gauge that screws into the top if the filter. A little pricey, but  it makes it incredibly easy to ensure your filter is not getting clogged.

I use a different approach while installing the 30 micron filter on the Racor and the 10 micron (I think) on the engine. What I do is buy all of my diesel in jugs and filter it through a Baja aircraft filter. This ensures you’re not introducing any water or crap into the tank.

The stern seat provides an easy platform for setting one of the new-style jugs on its side. It drains right into the Baja filter without spilling a drop.

I also put a capful of Biobar into the tank with each five-gallon fill-up to kill any bacteria in the diesel and to provide the extra lubrication that older diesels need since sulfur disappeared from the fuel.

Oh, and don’t forget to change the O ring on the fuel cap periodically so that no rain or seawater drips into the tank.

I’ve been doing this for 12 years on Yanmar diesels and have never had a dirty filter when I change the big one every year or so.  That’s with more than 100 sailing days a year in western Florida.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows