[C320-list] Perkins Perama wont start

nibj nibj at mac.com
Mon May 30 18:33:37 PDT 2022

Our Perkins Perama M30 suffered a rusted out mixing elbow during our last cruise in fall 2021 (not bad considering it was the original item from 1995).  The engine got very wet as a result.

I sourced a new elbow but accidentally damaged the heat exchanger housing trying to remove some carbon buildup.  So I replaced replaced both the housing and the elbow (as well as assorted hoses) over the winter.  Now the boat is in the water and the engine will not start. It turns over fine, but there is not a hint of combustion. We are not sure how to proceed to get our Perkins running.

Friends have said it must be a fuel problem. So we have tried to bleed the fuel system (first time for us so maybe we succeeded...).

Any suggestions of other potential solutions, quirks of Perkins, or other suggestions for our next step would be very gratefully received.  We want to get out sailing!

Peter
Tangled