[C320-list] Water leaks at pedestal guard base

Ferris Wills ferriswills707 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:34:22 PDT 2022

Hi All,

I recently sealed four leaks in my cockpit - all three of my pedestal guard mounting feet were leaky, as was my emergency tiller access hatch.

I replaced the tiller access hatch with a new one, and re-bed the mounting feet on butyl tape. I had to seal the top of the mounting feet with a bit of black silicone around the tube to get a final seal. In the end, everything is now water tight, but the mounting feet are faded and look kinda of shabby.

I noticed that CD has upgraded stainless mounts for sale (https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-30/hull-deck/maintenance/copy-of-pedestal-steering-rebuild-kit-edson-classic-pedestal/) - has anyone installed these? Looks like I’d have to fully remove the guard, which would be a horrific chore given how much wiring runs through the tubes - am I wrong?

Thx,
Ferris Wills
(Argo, #505)