[C320-list] High Output Alternator

kskis at aol.com kskis at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 10:42:05 PDT 2022

Hello:  Having read many prior posts and project pages, I'd like to get any opinions and experience with upgrading to a high output alternator for my Harmony #963 with 2004 Yanmar 3gm30-f.  Harmony has been a marina maiden her whole life so battery charging/capacity has been more than adequate for short trips and day sailing.  We now want her to be able to do 1-2 week cruising as well as life on a mooring.  My 2 Lifeline AGM's (total 420AH/useable 210AH when new) are 5 years old and have been very lightly used (as the rest of Harmony!).  I want to upgrade charging capacity now to maximize use of these existing agms and prepare for replacing probably with lithium.  Balmar (and a supplier) recommended XT-DF-170-J10 Alternator (170 amps) with serpentine pulley kit and Max Charge MC-618 regulator.  Knowing this is overkill/pricey choice now but will have me avoid another alternator upgrade when the current batteries need replacing.  My understanding is the Max Charge can "turn down" amps to match the charging profile on my agm's then back up again when switching to lithium.
Considering Battery monitor as well as 300 watts of solar panels on bimini to top off charging on mooring.
Currently I don't have a start battery and looking to keep my agms each on their own switch 1 & 2
I am searching for someone to do the work.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Neil KornblattHarmony #963