[C320-list] Forward hatch leak

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Tue Sep 27 22:14:50 PDT 2022

Jerry,

Re-sealing the hatch lens is not that difficult. Especially if the old caulk is starting to let go.  I did both of mine this spring.  To remove, cut the old sealant with a craft knife, and pull the lens out,  Clean out the residue of the old sealant with a soft wire brush (brass) and mineral spirits.  I do recommend replacing the rubber gasket between the opening part of the hatch and frame at the same time, as it's held in by the same sealant.  Before you replace the lens, mask all around the frame with painters tape, then lay down a bead of new sealant (Dow 795), set the lens in place, and fill in the gap with more sealant.  Some people say smooth it with your finger, but I found a good putty knife worked for me.  Replacing the lens is basically the same as re-sealing it, so just decide before you start whether the plexiglass lens is intact or crazed enough to need replacing.

If hatch leaks between the frame and the cabin roof, that's a little more of a project. Anyplace where stainless steel screws are screwed into aluminum frames you could find that the screws are corroded, and break off instead of unscrewing.  That's a pain, as you'll then have to drill out the old screw, and hope that the corrosion doesn't extend into the frame enough to require replacing it.

If the metal frame of the hatch isn't corroded, and the hinges aren't too tight to open and close, then I don't see why you would replace the whole hatch.  But the process to replace it is basically the same as the process to re-seal it, so just inspect and decide accordingly.

Good luck,

PS: I also received your test message.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,