[C320-list] Toilet Smells

Steve Weinstein srw_jags at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 12:05:35 PDT 2023

 Dave,
I had a similar problem on my former boat, a 1994 C270.  I read a few articles on the issue of persistent smells and did a few things that eliminated the problem.  First, I cleaned the waste tank out.  Used some cleaner in it, topped up the tank with fresh water and had it pumped out.  Then refilled the tank about half way, took the boat out and bounced it around, and topped the tank again and had it flushed.  Changed all the hoses.  While changing the hoses, I found that the mascerator pump was leaking.  I changed the pump and hoses.  Catalina had vented the tank through two tiny holes in one of the lifeline stanchions.  Worthless.  They were plugged up and could not be cleaned.  Too small anyway.  I installed a gas tank vent in the side just below the rub rail, with a built-in screen to keep the bugs out.  After that, I used fresh water from the sink only to flush the toilet.  I used bilge cleaner to clean up the leakage from the pump.  No more smell problems.
I like the idea of the extra water tank over the fuel tank.  Might have to look into doing that, add it to the list.
Steve Weinstein2000 C320 #722, Vega