[C320-list] Edson Steering Query

Dennis Cookson dennis at cooksons.net
Sun Apr 30 09:20:32 PDT 2023

At rest in the water, I can turn the helm wheel in either direction quite smoothly. But when sailing, with pressure on the rudder, and tension in the steering cable assembly, I encounter some mild resistance when turning to starboard, but not when turning to port. It’s a kind of mild vibration that doesn’t prevent the wheel from turning, but doesn’t feel correct and I would like to eliminate it.

I replaced my original steering chain and cables with a new assembly from Edson a couple of years ago, and I’m confident that the chain and sprocket are turning smoothly. So I assume this has to be related to the sheaves in the aft cabin under the pedestal, the radial on the rudder post, or the rudder itself. A visual inspection shows nothing untoward, so my next step will be to monitor the moving parts below with someone else at the helm.

Has any 320 owner encountered this issue? Any advice would be most welcome.

Dennis Cookson
Catalina, #577, 1999