[C320-list] Worthington Propane Tank - Leaking from threads

KEN GEIGER kendgb at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 16:32:06 PDT 2023

You might consider looking for a propane service shop in your area.  Ask you tank filler for leads.  I wanted to buy a small tank as a backup.  Asked my propane filling station and he had one but had to have a new valve installed and then re-certified,  which he did.
Also had to buy a new main tank 2 years ago and contacted Worthinton for help.  They were not helpful at all, leaving me to my own devices.  Got one by chance at Canadian Tire for under $100 CAD, That fit nicely into the propane locker.
Ken Geiger
#765 Northern Dream

Sent from AOL on Android

  On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 4:47 p.m., Jeffrey Brown via C320-list<c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:   Hey friends,
Last year we bought a new propane tank from Catalina Direct. After receiving it last year, we constantly smelled propane from the compartment, thinking it was the fittings or maybe we neglected to shut off the main valve. Didn’t think too much about it except, I did make sure the drain valve in the compartment was cleared (it had been blocked in years past.) A few weeks ago after noticing it was full drained I went to got it filled, put it back in but didn’t connect it. Went down to the boat this weekend to grill some hot dogs and again, smelled fumes and it wasn’t hooked up to anything. That’s when I discovered it was leaking from the threads of the main valve. I called Catalina Direct and they told me to call Worthington, they couldn’t help me. Called Worthington and they told me they can’t help and pointed me back to Catalina Direct. Sounds like they are having a finger pointing game. My question for this post is to see if anyone has experienced the same thing and wondering if I let it empty and simply try to tighten it somehow and put something on the threads? The problem is if I am able to make it tighter, it will not line up properly with the side that is cut out to allow for the fittings. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jeff Brown
"Out of the blue" Dana Point, CA
Catalina 320, Hull 78