[C320-list] PSS question

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Mon Feb 20 15:36:33 PST 2023

Hi Dick,
Here is a cut and pasted from what I think is the relevant section of the installation manual.   What am I missing?
Thanks,
Bruce

>From PSS Type A/Pro Seal Installation Instruction
Plumbing the system:
Note: Sailboats or displacement powerboats with a powering speed below 12 knots can use method A or B. However, displacement boats with a bearing in the shaft log must plumb water to the seal.
Low speed boats: (Under 12 knots of boat speed under power and no bearing in the shaft log).

Using a 3/8" (8mm or 9mm) ID "underwater rated" hose (not provided with the PSS), connect the hose to the hose barb fitting installed on the carbon and secure the hose with two (2) hose clamps. Run the hose to a point in the boat at least two (2) feet above the waterline, making sure that the hose does not apply any load on the carbon part of the seal. Keep the hose as close as possible to the vessel's centerline, so the top of the vent hose is never below the waterline, even if the boat heels. Secure the hose in place with the necessary fittings that ensure it will not pull free and drop. This hose is now a venting hose that will help ensure that no air is trapped in the seal.

WARNING: Do not run a loop at the top end of the vent hose as it could start a siphon action in some extreme conditions. Make sure the vent hose is properly secured from falling below the waterline. If the vent hose were to fall below the waterline, water would come into the boat. Do not plug or block the end of the vent hose, as this would prevent the line from venting.

High-speed boats: (Over 12 knots of boat speed under power)....