[C320-list] PSS question

Greg Arnold greg-arnold at gmx.com
Tue Feb 21 09:42:04 PST 2023

My memory is that at one time PYI sold two versions of the PSS -- one
with and one without a hose barb.  I sailed for many years on a
club-owned Catalina 400 with no barb, with no problems.  I asked the PYI
fellow about this at an Annapolis boat show a decade ago, and he said:
No worries,  you didn't need the barb for slower boats.  But then PSS
dropped the barb-less model, and you could only purchase one with a hose
barb.  So everyone installed the hose.  Now, PYI is selling a plug for
slower boats, so we seem to be back to where we were before.

I don't much like the hose barb, because it is a hole below the
waterline that has no valve to turn off the water.  Also, on my boat at
least, when you remove the raw water impeller, the water back flows from
the PSS through the system and comes out of the raw water pump (this is
when the thruhull is closed).  Water also can come out of the sea water
strainer if the blades on the impeller are not good.

I think you only have this problem if the hose from the PSS ties into
the raw water hose below the waterline.  Above the waterline and you are
OK.

2005 #1054