[C320-list] Of kellets and keel wraps

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 22 16:06:25 PST 2023

I would be more willing to buy the windlass if I anchored in 40 feet of water, but it almost seems useless when you're in 8 or 10 feet.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Ferris Wills via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> Date: 2/22/23  5:58 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at catalina320.com Cc: Ferris Wills <ferriswills707 at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Of kellets and keel wraps I recall someone posting in a previous thread that they welded a chain gypsy to the end of the existing rope one, and it worked well for them despite the offset.I’ve been trying to scrounge an appropriately sized chain gypsy and do the same, but I like this rubber wrap hack even more(price is right 😂) -  will give it a try, thx!FerrisTypos by iPhone> On Feb 22, 2023, at 3:47 PM, P.F. Ross via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:> > Thanks all.> > Jack, yes I know the pain of a new windlass for chain.  That is why I> googled "use rope windlass for chain rode" and found a kludge from a fellow> sailor that I cannot now find to reference and give him credit.  In any> case, he wrapped 1/8" thick neoprene rubber, 1" wide, spiraling around his> windlass drum in the correct direction and secured the free end with a> couple of wraps of self fusing silicone tape.> > That is what I have done and can report it has worked well now over three> anchorings.  Yes, I need to tail the 1/4 chain but it does not slip and the> rubber is holding up well.  I was mostly concerned with the silicone rubber> since it does not do well with abrasion, but so far so good>> >>