[C320-list] Question for y’all

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 18:46:43 PST 2023

 Hi Chip,
I went back and forth on this for several years.  The manual for my 2002 #859 hull says 3/16" but I have become convinced that this is wrong.  The ultimate test is to use a Vernier caliper to measure the gap between the OD of the 1" shaft and the ID of the stuffing box housing.  On #859, this is 0.25 in - disagreeing with the manual.  Also, I have put both 1/4 and 3/16 packing into the gland over the years.  When I go to eventually replace it, the 1/4 is still square, but the 3/16 has become rectangular in use.  To me that implies that the gap is 1/4 and when tightened down the 3/16 gets short on the along-the-shaft dimension and confirms to the 1/4 in gap b/t the OD of the 1" shaft and the ID of the stuffing box.  So it ends up rectangular when removed.
I have gone with 1/4" the last many seasons with great results.  Lately I've added one ring of 3/16" to the rings of 1/4" just to help ensure a good, tight fit and that has worked well.
BTW, there are many vendors who claim GFO but many are not.  I recommend going with e-marine systems: https://www.emarineinc.com/brands/GFO.html
Also, in the last few years I have discovered Syntef.  This is available from West Marine and other suppliers.  It is a "goo" which you can add to your stuffing box rings between years when you change.  It does a really great job of further leak-proofing the stuffing box without changing the rings.  When my boat is on the hard, I open the box and push as much of the Syntef goo in as I can.
 -bill
Bill CulbertsonC320IA Secretary/TreasurerHarmony #859