[C320-list] Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot

ptormey 4square.net ptormey at 4square.net
Sun Jan 29 15:05:10 PST 2023

I "enjoyed" the wheel pilot for several years before I realized it was easily overpowered by following seas. Looking at the rudder you'll see that it isn't 'balanced'; the rudder post is well forward of center. This means that any force hitting it is only opposed but the rudder, the post and the quadrant and cables and with just the plastic drive against the wheel pilot drive belt.

That's a lot for force for a motor running just a few amps. More importantly it fails when needed most.

I switched to a linear drive which connects directly to the rudder post and never worried about it again.

Pat
Pat Tormey
s/v Blues Skies
Newport RI