[C320-list] Full vs. partial batten mainsails

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Thu Jul 6 08:36:45 PDT 2023

So I’m getting ready to splurge on a new mainsail and sorting through my options. I see I can buy a full-batten main that feeds into the boom in the usual way or a partial-batten main with a loose foot.

What is everyone’s experience/opinion on the choices?

I currently have partial battens and a loose-footed main, which I like because I can give the main a bit of a belly in light air and power it up.

I also have a Dutchman system, which I’m ambivalent about because it periodically causes chafe and rips in the main, such as when the Dutchman eyelets come loose on the sail. I used  to have lazy jacks on another boat, which were helpful but also caused their own problems.

So, also, which sail-control system works best with your favorite choice? Or, with a full-batten main, is it possible to do away with the system altogether?

I should also say that I’m limiting myself to the main online vendors that sell ready-made Catalina sails. The local guys just cost way too much for the sailing I do. Also, I keep hearing that many lofts buy Asian sails these days and justify the mark-ups with modifications that may or may not be useful for the average sailor.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.