[C320-list] Full vs. partial batten mainsails

John Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 6 11:01:31 PDT 2023

   Thanks for all of the replies.

   It sounds to me like full battens and loose footed is the way to go.
   Boy, I would hate to punch holes in a new sail to install the Dutchman
   again, so I’m leaning toward no system for a while and lazy jacks if I
   need them.

   Christian, the Rolly Tasker sails are sold by National Sail, which is
   only 45 minutes from me, a big plus when you figure in the cost of
   shipping a full batten mainsail.

   Many years ago, I used to hang around a lot with a well-known bluewater
   sailor named John Kretschmer (our daughters were best buddies growing
   up), and he always said that Rolly Tasker was a good choice unless you
   were a racer or a long-distance sailor with special requirements.

   Special tweaks can help you get across the finish line first, but solid
   construction and materials are more important when you’re an old guy
   cruising at 5-5.5 knots.

   Jack Brennan

   Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320

   Tierra Verde, Fl.