[C320-list] Full vs. partial batten mainsails

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:58:26 PDT 2023

We have an Elvstrom full batten loose footed main.   The sail was made in
Denmark using a high quality Challenger Dacron Sailcloth.   I want to say
it was roughly $2000 five years ago, but I’d have to go sort through my
records to get an exact price.  Dacron is not all created equal, we
purchased the specific cloth based on our cruising needs, so that’s
something important to consider. That price included a local sailmaker
coming to the boat measuring for the sail, etc,  as well as some finishing
touches that were done here stateside and then coming back to the boat to
install the sails etc.    We purchased a Genoa, stack pack and new canvas
all at the same time so I don’t know if the price reflects any sort of
discounts.   We love the stack pack and would never go back to a Dutchman.
  We are not racers and I could see how the stack pack might be an
annoyance for folks that race a lot.  The joy of knowing we can turn head
to wind, pop the halyard clutch and have the sail "managed" in less than 30
seconds is really nice when you have a storm heading your way fast.   We've
had quite a few opportunities the last couple weeks on the Chesapeake to
use that feature….it’s been quite a couple of weeks for summer light shows
and impromptu ground tackle testing.   A really nasty squall blew through
Tilghman Island Monday night about 4 hours after we went through the cut.
Gusts of 85 mph were recorded and some boats that were hauled out for work
were knocked off their stands.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514