[C320-list] Knapps Narrows (was Full vs. partial batten mainsails)

Kevin Rooney krooney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 08:37:01 PDT 2023

Re: Knapps Narrows (for Chesapeake Bay sailors) -- this question and the
comments following it were posted on June 21st on the "Chesapeake Bay
Sailing" Facebook group:

"Knapps Narrows. Anyone been through recently? Any markers or shoaling to
avoid?"

"Went through Knapps last weekend with no problems. We draw 6' and didn't
see anything below 7.6. New G daymark on the Bay side replaced the old R
daymark near Tilghman Island marina to keep you in deep water. Shout out to
Capt Adam from TowBoatUS who shared with us his local knowledge about new
nav aids."

>From "TowBoatUS Kent Narrows & Knapps Narrows": "Give our Captain a call!
410-745-3000. Capt. Adam transits there frequently and is happy to give
local knowledge."

"I went through last week. They have changed old red 4 to green 5a and
there is a new floating red nun. Didn't see anything less than 7.3"

"TowBoatUS Kent Narrows & Knapps Narrows should have local knowledge here.
My understanding is there is significant shoaling to the north side of the
channel transiting from the Bay side."

"We draw 5' and had no trouble going through 10 days ago. Only trouble spot
is the west side where there was a temporary new red buoy mark to honor
instead of the old daymark piling. When in doubt, veer south!"

-----

Kevin Rooney
S/V Cecilia Ann
Shipwright Harbor Marina