[C320-list] Chainplate adjustment

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Fri Jun 2 11:02:22 PDT 2023

I can't claim any special expertise about this, but I replaced my chainplates last summer, and the rig is still standing.  I tightened the nuts at the bottom of the tie-rod enough to put some downward load on the chainplates even before the shrouds were attached.  The shelf where the tie-rods attach behind the settees is a major structural component, and it looked to me as though it was meant to carry more of the load than the side deck.  I didn't try to get it super-tight, just to take any flex or stretch out of the below-decks part of the system, so the side-deck wouldn't be pulled up (and away from the hull) by the tension on the shrouds.  I had to use a crows-foot wrench to tighten some of the nuts, because of the location of the openings in the back of the settee.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA