[C320-list] Rebedding forward trapezoidal hatch

surprise thompson87.com surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 12 12:36:24 PDT 2023

I did this years ago. On the first attempt I used caulk but there was a significant gap between the deck cutout and frame, which led to a lot of dripping caulk and a leaky seal. On the second attempt I purchased “hatch tape” from Bomar. This is a foam tape impregnated with sealant. It worked flawless and I haven’t had further leaks many years later. The original installation used some kind of putty-like tape that had dried out causing the leak after just a few years since the boat was new. I don’t know whether the original was butyl tape or not since I’ve never used butyl tape.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653 (1999)