[C320-list] Another Perkins M30 Overheating Help Thread

Paul Hetherington paul at heth.ca
Wed Jun 14 17:45:48 PDT 2023

Thanks Dan.  We did try a bypass loop which didn't seem to help, but the
real issue seems to be that we hadn't purged the coolant system properly.
After flushing out the bubbles in the heating system we achieved the
following results (these are all under load at the dock).

2700 for 15 minutes stabilized at 185
2850 for 15 minutes stabilized at 190
2950 for 10 minutes heated up to 205 and was still going up when shut down
- not no overheat alarm!
2000 for 10 minutes cooled down to 170
2700 for 15 minutes stabilized at 185

Not sure why it shot up at 2950, but our normal cruising is 2700 so until
we get a chance to do a full day of testing I am going on record as saying
the cooling system purge has helped.  We should have tried that much sooner
in our steps, but now we know.  For those wondering we used this from
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01I40ZQWE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
The red fitting and the angle extension worked perfectly.  Best $30 spent.

Thanks to all for your very useful comments.

Cheers,
- Paul.
Paul Hetherington
Seasun 1994, Hull #155