[C320-list] Is the starter motor the culprit?

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:08:51 PDT 2023

Bob,

We have a Yanmar 3GM30F so I don’t have any direct experience with your
engine.   Having said that, I have never met a starter that was difficult
to remove or install from the engine.   Getting the starter out of the 320
is a little more challenging than on most cars due to normal boat yoga
required.   Although I did recently replace a starter on a German SUV that
required removing wiring harnesses and the intake manifold to get to,
so…not every car is simple either I suppose…

The short answer to your question about testing is "probably not".    The
longer answer is that troubleshooting the starting circuit for the solenoid
and the motor itself is highly dependent on the installation and engine.
If the wiring for your starter is anything like the hulls with a yanmar
installed….suspect the wiring.

FWIW

Troy Dunn
Hull #514