[C320-list] Port-side cockpit lazarette gas strut project

Greg Arnold greg-arnold at gmx.com
Tue Mar 28 16:13:08 PDT 2023

I have completed the gas spring/strut installation on the port side
large cockpit locker. A vast improvement over the factory setup.

Very straightforward project using Neil's directions.  Neil indicated
that he used a 40 pound spring and felt that 60 might be better.  I
started with 50, then 60, then 80.  I think 80 pounds is about right.
Less than that, and the downward momentum just before closing could be
enough to hurt careless fingers.

I also added a handle next to the latch on the lid, much better than
using the latch to open and close the lid.

Also added handles to the vertical inboard edges of both lazarette
lids.  The handles eliminate the possibility of installing the stern
bench seat, but on my boat (with a dished wheel) there isn't room to
stand behind the wheel if the stern seat is there.

Greg
2005 #1054
Santa  Barbara, CA