[C320-list] Edson Steering Query

Dennis Cookson dennis at cooksons.net
Mon May 1 06:40:27 PDT 2023

Hi Asa, and yes, the access to those saddle clamps is indeed very limited with the radial in place. However, with the boat on the hard, much patience, and a long socket wrench I was able to remove the old cable assembly and install the new one without any adjustment to rudder, shaft, or radial. It took me a while but I had plenty of time and a steady platform to work in. It would be even more challenging to do this job if the boat is moving in the water. By the way I have the radial drive wheel, not the quadrant, which may be quite different.

If you are going to the trouble of replacing these rusting saddle clamps I would recommend that you also replace the original steering chain and cable assembly, which is trivial by comparison, and will increase your confidence in the steering integrity. The set includes the clamps you will need - see attached pics. I have some detailed notes on this job should you need them.

Good luck,
Dennis Cookson
Catalina #577 1999