[C320-list] Mast thickness

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Wed May 17 06:48:22 PDT 2023

Scott,

Was able to measure my replacement mast gate screws today.  I used 10-32 SS
button head cap screws.

I used a lubricated #21 tap drill (.159) but a 5/32 (.156) would also
work.  When tapping in spars, I like to chuck the tap in a variable speed
drill and proceed slowly at low rpm, much easier to keep tap square rather
than using a handle.  I also use "Tap Magic" Aluminum cutting fluid while
tapping.

And as others have noted, I use "Tef Gel" on the threads when installing
screws to help prevent corrosion.  Did this 25 years ago and all is well.
I am able to snug screws down tightly and have not come close to stripping
them.

I also posted a pic of the smooth button head profile on the gate in my
owners gallery album online.

Regards,

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206