[C320-list] Sink Drain

ART HARDEN artstree at aol.com
Wed May 17 15:10:35 PDT 2023

I had an issue with my 1995 Catalina 320 Tortuga number 243 when I put her together for this season. I poured some water into the sink and found that one of the sink drain connections had broken. After nearly 30 years of use the plastic and become brittle and broke during the winter. I was able to order two sink fittings online for about $40 apiece. If you have never replaced these items, I would suggest you put it on your to do list. the hot water from the faucet as well as age tends to make them brittle. Due to the confined space behind the top drawer you have to be creative on replumbing the drain hose. When Catalina installed the system they cut all of the barbs off of one of the drain hose connections. I bought all new fittings and did a little rerouting so I would not have to cut the barbs on the fittings. After getting it complete and rethinking the process, I could’ve cut two barbs off of the T and off of the fitting for a more original alignment. However, I am satisfied with what I came up with.

The biggest thing that I realized when I put the new hose on the drain, is that the water elevation is only about 6 inches below the bottom of the sink. I used to leave the through hull open on the sink. However, after seeing where water elevation is, I will no longer do that.

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62
937.885.9380 (o)