[C320-list] Motor mounts

Steve Weinstein srw_jags at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 06:34:41 PST 2023

 Folks, I had this problem with my former boat, a C270 with a Perkins Perama engine.  If the idle dropped below around 950 rpm, it would "diesel", shake and shudder like it was going to fall apart.  It was not the motor mounts.  It's a problem with the engine.  I did a bunch of research and found that it was common in those Perkins engines.  The fix: keep the idle at 1000 rpm or above.  I adjusted the idle so it would not drop below 1000 rpm, no more "dieseling" problem.  I have heard that the same thing will happen with the Yanmar engines if the idle drops too low.  The idle on Vega is set to never go below 1000, and I never have a problem, engine runs nice and smooth, easy to shift in and out of gear.
Hope that helps.
Steve Weinstein2000 C320 #722, Vega