[C320-list] White Smoke from Diesel Exhaust

Rich Allen randnallen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 16:13:38 PST 2023

Hi Bob,
I am hoping that your issue is due to one of the less invasive causes.  I
received a big dose of education stemming from a problem caused by rings
stuck in the piston grooves (1995 Westerbeke 30B, 1170 hours).  In my case,
the engine started and ran fine, until one time it did not start after
repeated attempts to start.  There was low compression in cylinders 1 and
2.  The stuck rings cause blowby observed by smoke coming from the
crankcase from the dipstick hole with the dipstick removed.  A compression
test is pretty quick and easy to do if you have the equipment, and that
would narrow your search.  A good diesel mechanic would have the tools
available, though these mechanics seem to be difficult to find.  If you
want to do the compression test yourself, a test kit is available from
Harbor Freight for not too much, but be aware that diesel engines are
higher compression than gas so a higher pressure gauge is needed.  The
compression can be tested through the glow-plug holes.  How are you
determining the temperature at the various injectors?  A stuck-open
thermostat could  interfere with the engine operating temperature which
you should see on the control panel.  You can test the thermostat in a pot
of water to see that it opens at the proper temperature, or a replacement
is not too expensive to rule it out.

I hope you get resolution without needing a rebuild. Keep us all informed
with what you find.

Best regards,
Rich Allen, Destiny 1995 #265