[C320-list] Aft Water Tank Replacement

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Sun Nov 19 17:45:26 PST 2023

Does anyone know whether there is another, more economical source than
Catalina Direct for water tanks?  After I got my old water tank out from
under the berth in the aft cabin, I concluded that I need to replace the
whole tank.  I just can’t get the old tank acceptably clean inside or out.
A new tank is available from Catalina Direct for $420.  Buying a new fuel
tank from Ezel instead of Catalina Direct saved me several hundred dollars.
I’d love to find a less expensive source for a water tank, if possible.

One collateral benefit of buying a new tank is that the manufacturer can
tell me whether the tank outlet is a ½ inch NPT thread or ½ inch BSPP
thread, so I’ll know what fitting to buy to connect to the 15MM WhaleX water
line. To the extent that anyone else has to replace the fitting on an
existing tank, I determined that I could buy the Whale WX1513B fitting that
Bob Borelli suggested (1/2 inch NPT to 15MM female), and a Whale WX1522B
fitting (15MM male to 15MM female elbow) from Defender Marine for $21.50.
And for $4.88 more, I could add a Whale 1515B fitting (1/2 inch BSPP to 15MM
female) so that I’d be covered no matter what the thread was in my old tank.

Mark Seyler

231 W. Livingston Place

Metairie, LA 70005

mseyler at cox.net <mailto:mseyler at cox.net>