[C320-list] Steering Friction

surprise thompson87.com surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Oct 16 21:48:41 PDT 2023

I also have a 1999 boat. Before I got rid of my wheel pilot and replaced it with a below deck linear drive pilot I found that the wheel pilot itself was adding a lot of friction. You might try removing it temporarily to see if it is adding friction. Also, be sure to flush out the interior regularly as dirt and salt in the wheel pilot can make the friction worse. If your 1999 boat has the original wheel pilot there is a good chance that wear and tear have made friction problems worse. With the linear drive on standby my wheel turns effortlessly in light air. It’s as if there is no pilot at all. And it handles stronger winds much better than the wheel pilot. Best upgrade I ever made.