[C320-list] Small Boat Dehumidifier

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Tue Oct 17 16:46:56 PDT 2023

I used this dehumidifier for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QTW6KQ/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

and it did a good job of dehumidifying my 320. It's no longer available, but the current version seems to be this:

https://www.amazon.com/Eva-Dry-Dehumidifier-Thermal-Electric-Piece/dp/B06XHSR1KK/ref=dp_prsubs_sccl_2/142-9369856-4664145?pd_rd_w=fe7jq&content-id=amzn1.sym.f5e8e3ef-84db-453d-a27d-ecf88c736208&pf_rd_p=f5e8e3ef-84db-453d-a27d-ecf88c736208&pf_rd_r=W5QK1RBWDWTX1R4J40Q9&pd_rd_wg=ZvbyB&pd_rd_r=94f79f4d-7020-45cb-9a20-095e12d2fe7d&pd_rd_i=B06XHSR1KK&psc=1

My problem with the system was that the external power supply for the unit would burn out after about a year or two of continuous running, leaving me to either buy a whole new unit, or re-wire an aftermarket power supply to match the plug on the dehumidifier.  However, some of the aftermarket power supplies heated up enough to make me uncomfortable about leaving them running when I wasn't there, which is the whole point of the system.

Whatever dehumidifier you get, it's easy to modify the tank to make it self-empty into the galley sink.  Drill a 1/4 inch hole about a half-inch below the top of the tank.  Feed enough 1/4 inch OD plastic tubing through the hole and into the tank to stop just short of the bottom of the tank, and leave enough tubing on the outside to reach down into the galley sink.  When the water level in the tank rises, it fills the  tube, which then siphons the water out down to the bottom of the inside tubing.  As long as the top of the tubing is below the auto-shut-off level, the unit will run continuously.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA