[C320-list] Steering Friction

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Wed Oct 25 08:07:01 PDT 2023

Hi Arthur:

I can’t help on access, but I do have some advice on sails, depending on your intended use.

If you’re racing, you’ll always be better off with a good local loft that knows local conditions and can fit the sail exactly.

If you’re a weekend sailor, take a look at Rolly Tasker sails, sold mainly in the U.S. by National Sail and a variety of other outlets elsewhere. Tasker was/is an Australian who pioneered the making of sails in Asia at costs much lower than the locals could do.

They are very good quality, and the word for a long time has been that Tasker does the initial work on sails for many big-name sail lofts, which then add their own touches and sell the sails to you at a much higher price.

I see at National Sail you can get a roller furling 135 for $1,649, maybe a little more if you want some extras. That’s a price that’s hard to beat.

There used to be a lively market in used sails, but the companies that still sell them have sparse web sites these days and generally charge a lot of money for sails of questionable value. Why pay $800 for used when you can get new for $1,600?

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.