[C320-list] How long after launch?

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Wed Apr 3 12:49:40 PDT 2024

I'm in the water year-round, and only haul out for new bottom paint every 2-3 years.  Like Dave, I have to run the engine as soon as we are splashed, to clear the travel lift slip.  I've never had a problem with doing so.

But I have always heard that if anything in the drive train was disconnected while on the hard, the boat should be in the water for at least 24 hours to return to its normal shape before trying to align the prop shaft.  (I insisted on that a few years ago when I replaced my prop shaft.)  I don't know if that time should be extended if the boat was on the hard all winter.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA