[C320-list] Thermostat for Perkins M-30: VERY hot fresh water at sink

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 14:16:22 PDT 2024

I've read the multiple answers to your question. A couple other comments:1. Obviously make sure the coolant level is up in your heat exchanger tank. If the coolant is not high enough, it doesn’t  cover the heat exchanger tube sufficiently for optimum heat transfer.2. Broken off impeller pieces can lodge in the front rubber cup at the front end of the heat exchanger tube.  There they can then block flow through the very small multiple tubes that run the length of the heat exchanger tube ... causing overheating. Here are replacement rubber cups and clamps for the ends of the heat exchanger tube https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-perama-m30-heat-exchanger-end-caps/
3. Should you decide to replace your thermostat, I strongly suggest replacing your engine water pump (the original?) because you will need to completely remove the pump to replace the thermostat. My pump froze solid during my first year of boat ownership. The pump is not very expensive .... I bought here https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-perama-m30-water-pump/  Here is the thermostat replacement kit https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-perama-m30-thermostat-kit/ There is a thermostat retaining spring that you also should replace https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-perama-m30-thermostat-retaining-spring/

Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

  On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 9:57 AM, Louis Spitz via C320-list<c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:   Hi folks,
Any thoughts on VERY hot water at galley sink, and replacing the Thermostat on a 1995 Perkins M-30? Could they be related? The engine runs HOT (c.205).
Thanks, Lou Spitz
Merry Chase
#195, 1995