[C320-list] 'Sticky' Through-Hull Valves

john at frostnet.net john at frostnet.net
Mon Apr 29 08:52:15 PDT 2024

I had one break off at the hull on my 6 month old boat. It was a jagged break and I couldn’t stop the water flow but we got it to the lift and saved it. I would have sunk if we hadn't been on board. I now keep a bag of toilet bowl joint wax on board that can plug such a leak

I looked at it under a microscope and found it failed from fatigue,
Turns out it was my head overboard discharge valve which I had zip tied closed by attaching it to an adjacent hose. The valve and the hose vibrated differently under power and my zip tie just vibrated the valve to failure.

I close all valves when I leave the boat so they get exercised and they are never sticky (fresh water)

John
2007 C320MKII
Hull  #1118
Lake Guntersville, AL