[C320-list] 'Sticky' Through-Hull Valves

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Apr 29 15:19:34 PDT 2024

Through hull debates are like anchor debates. No right or wrong. Just opinions.

After many years of having "bronze" through hulls, I was happy to have Marelon on my 320.

Groco and others actually make red brass fittings, with 5 percent zinc and 5 percent tin. It's a good alloy for seawater.

However, I had several handles of mild steel break off. I also had a couple that didn't shut properly, especially those with the old cone-shaped fittings.

Don't bond them electrically. You don't want them acting as spare zincs.

My only problem with Marelon has been that they occasionally clog. That was really fun when it happened on the head through hull.

The only solution is to remove the hose and use a plumbing tool to clear it, then don gloves for the messy clean up.

I've never lubed them, although that would be a good idea. I do exercise them regularly.

Marelon itself is virtually indestructible. People have taken hammers to the fittings with no result.

If the fitting won't close, an emergency fix is to fit a hose that reaches above the waterline, then cap it for good measure.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone