[C320-list] Autopilot replacement

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Mon Aug 19 18:14:47 PDT 2024

Hi Bruce:

If you feel your boat is well balanced in the conditions you sail in, the EV 100 is a good replacement.

The wheel pilots really are best when all you require is minor adjustments to keep you on course. It does this well without gobbling up many amps.

If you find that the wheel requires some muscle to stay on course, the below-deck units are probably right for you. They are stronger and more durable.

In my case, I sail in the Gulf of Mexico. We get plenty of strong winds, and the seas tend to be short and choppy. The 320 handles these conditions well as long as I adjust the sails properly.

More than 20 knots, I sometimes turn the autopilot off and steer just because I think it's the seaman-like thing to do. It allows me to make adjustments for cross seas and the like.

I once did a 140-mile sail from Key West to Boca Grande in 25 knots and six to eight-foot seas. The EV 100 handled it for a time, until the AP pulled the bracket right off the pedestal. I think that was partly my fault. I did a better job of re-installing the bracket when I got to an anchorage.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.