[C320-list] Autopilot replacement

Dennis Cookson dennis at cooksons.net
Tue Aug 20 01:01:56 PDT 2024

Hi Bruce, do you have a rudder reference as part of your installation? I also have a ST4000 and Smart Pilot system, and recently reinstalled my rudder reference which I had ignored since acquiring the boat, but which had never been fitted correctly. It was mounted in a different plane to the radial drive wheel and connected with elastic tethers. Since remounting it correctly, calibrating, and limiting the drive wheel to the same angular range), it has transformed the autopilot performance. It's quiet and smooth and only applies small corrections when necessary.  Might be worth recalibrating your system before shelling out for a replacement.

Dennis Cookson
 #0577, 'Catalina'