[C320-list] Autopilot replacement

ptormey 4square.net ptormey at 4square.net
Tue Aug 20 04:10:21 PDT 2024

I installed the Raymarine below deck ram drive and I'm very happy with the results.

The shape of the rudder on a C320 and the offset of the pivot post of shaft let the rudder be "pushed around" by heav-ish following seas. That makes the wheel pilot unreliable when it's needed most.

I followed Jeff Hare's instructions from the C320 site. He provides a CAD drawing for the mounting plates. I think you can save a little money by using aluminum for both plates, as the Stainless plate can only be seen at the foot of the bed.

Fortunately, I already had a rudder position indicator which was cleverly mounted upside down!

Pat
Pat Tormey
s/v Blues Skies
Newport RI