[C320-list] Problem with cutless bearing

surprise thompson87.com surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Aug 31 16:05:40 PDT 2024

I had my boat pulled out the water for a short haul and pressure wash last week since I haven't been able to use the boat much this summer and the bottom and prop were a mess. I noticed little bits of rubber protruding from both ends of the cutless bearing. Not sure how much I should worry about this. I'd really like to ignore it until winter haulout in a few months if possible. There was no play in the shaft when I pulled hard on it. And although there was some friction when I turned the prop by hand, it didn't seem any different from usual. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on? I do not remember how old that bearing is, but probably at least several years.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, (1999) #653
Severna Park, Maryland