[C320-list] John Estes - C320IA founding member and First Commodore

catalina at thehares.com catalina at thehares.com
Fri Feb 2 08:39:59 PST 2024

Hello all.

As we approach the 30th year of the founding the Catalina 320 International
Association in 1994, I received a sad note regarding John Estes.

We were fortunate enough to meet them at some of the first association
regattas we attended on the left coast USA and he was a wonderful spirit.

I don't recall offhand what hull number they sailed, but there is sure to be
some history there.

-Jeff Hare

Formerly C320 #809 Woodbine II (Currently named Dodger)

----

"Just wanted to let you know that John Estes passed away this morning after
a long illness.  He was a dear friend to all the Catalina 320 owners back in
the early day."

I believe that John Estes was the original Commodore of the Catalina 320
Association.  He and his wife Joyce formed the Association somewhere around
1994 and the first 3 regattas were held in San Francisco Bay at their home
port in Alameda, California.  Roger and Diana Frizzelle along with Roger and
Mona Elliott were some of the founding members.

We attended the 2nd regatta and John and Joyce proudly sailed us under the
Golden Gate bridge that weekend.   Joyce also used to hold our monthly
meetings back in the old AOL chat rooms!  We sure remember them fondly.

Linda Richards and Orlando Duran

Former Cat 320 #112 owners