[C320-list] Sudden blue smoke, Perkins M30

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 10:10:38 PST 2024

All,

We had been motoring yesterday at our normal 2600 RPM for about an hour
when suddenly the engine lost power, revs dropping down to 1800 or so.  At
that same instant I noticed smoke from the exhaust like I had never seen
before.  I throttled back, gave the admiral the wheel, went below, removed
engine covers and checked everything.  All appeared normal.

We were just about to enter a busy harbor, so not knowing what was going on
I decided to shut the engine down and called for a tow.  We were about 10
miles from home so decided to go back there.  Fortunately, winds were light
and seas were flat.

The week before I had changed both fuel filters and the fresh water
impeller, preparing for a cruise.  Fuel tank was topped up with the same
Shell brand terrestrial diesel I have used for the past 9 years.

I have owned the boat since new (1994) and the engine has 550 hours, the
majority of those accumulated since I moved the boat to SW FL in 2015.
Regular oil, filter and coolant changes are known since I have done them
all.

Today at my dock, the engine starts and seems to run ok, but still belching
clouds of what I would call blue smoke and is leaving a sheen on the
water.  It also has a peculiar smell, perhaps somewhat sweet.

So it seems like oil smoke, but for the life of me I cannot imagine what
failure would cause sudden oil burning.  I suppose a fuel injector could
suddenly malfunction (I have never messed with the injectors) but that
would seem to be black smoke.

I will try to find a diesel mechanic to come check it out next week but
thought I would see if anyone on here had an idea of what may be going on.

Thanks and regards,

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206
Naples, FL