[C320-list] Sudden blue smoke, Perkins M30

Jeff Smith svsailmates512 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 12:53:29 PST 2024

To echo what Mark said,

I would suspect the head gasket first, especially given the “peculiarly sweet smell.” This is usually the first diagnosis that a heater core on a car is going bad; it is the sickly sweet smell when running the heat. Given that you lost power, that would suggest maybe a partial loss of compression.  A compression test would tell you this. Assuming the compression test is bad, you could then do a leak down test to check the rings/valves. However, Mark is correct that rings are wear items not sudden failure items. It could be a stuck valve. But, you will be able to diagnose this stuff with a compression and then leak-down test.

I would check the oil level and color first. As Mark noted, milky white oil is a telltale sign of a head gasket problem (just ask most early 2000’s Subaru Outback owners).

For what it is worth, I have had my injectors rebuilt and my injection pump rebuilt. None of my symptoms mimicked what you are describing.

Good luck,
Jeff