[C320-list] Another White Smoke from Perkins M30 Question

Mark Cole boatnboot at me.com
Mon Jan 22 12:02:18 PST 2024

My Perkins M30 (hull #8, 1993) has started to smoke constantly when running.  White smoke with maybe a little blue, it stays close to the water and doesn’t dissipate.  I replaced the mixing elbow a few years ago and still have great cooling water flow but the engine does overheat slightly when I run over 2000 RPM and towing an inflatable dingy.  I have tired a few repairs but no change.

The most recent development is decreasing coolant and an increase of oil level on the dip stick.  There is also now a sheen on the water around the exhaust.  Not bright fuel sheen, but dull brown oil sheen.  Does this sound like a cracked block?  Is this the end of this engine, or are there more tests/repairs I should contemplate?

Has anyone repowered their C320?  What engine fits best?  Rough costs?

Thanks for any input,

Mark
Fiddler’s Green #8
Port Townsend, WA