[C320-list] New prop shaft and ?

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Tue Jul 16 08:56:34 PDT 2024

We changed from 3 blade fixed to EWOL feathering. This is our third season with it, and so far it has been a noticeable improvement for us. I agree with Jack's comment on the simplicity of fixed props. If we were cruising long distances, I would at a minimum carry a fixed prop as a spare. However, we generally jaunt between marinas and for us, the feathering prop was as much a safety issue as it was a performance issue. The fixed 3 blade prop that came with our boat was a Campbell Sailor, which has a reduced blade area to attempt to minimize drag under sail. While it likely helped with that, and was quite efficient when powering in modest seas, it was not very good when reversing in a marina. I had to be very careful leaving a fairway to make sure there was no need for an emergency stop to avoid another boat (not that this is a bad idea in general). With the feathering prop, I can stop much more quickly. Also, I do get a sense of a modest improvement in powering into heavy seas where the boat does not slow down as much with each wave encounter.
As part of this propeller change, I also swapped our original bronze shaft with a new stainless shaft. I had changed my cutlass twice in 16 years of ownership before realizing (the obvious-to-most-people besides me issue) that the remaining play was due to shaft wear not bearing wear (duh!). On a side note, while some 320 owners were able to sneak the old shaft out past the rudder without removal, I was not. I also decided not to remove the rudder at this time. Instead, I removed the transmission from the engine (8 bolts I believe) and also removed the damper plate (which gave me a chance to inspect it anyway) and I was able to slide the shaft forward far enough to get the aft end out of the strut. YMMV.
Kind regards,Larry Leibman, Easy Going, Hull #609