[C320-list] Fuel line

Jack Brennan jackbrennan333 at outlook.com
Fri Jul 26 18:03:04 PDT 2024

Can't help you on the fuel line, but here are some troubleshooting ideas.

The most common reason for a no start is gunk in the fuel tank. Often, there is a screen at the end of the pickup line. If it is clogged, diesel should not run out of the fuel line when you disconnect it from the Racor, which I assume is in the bilge at the usual spot near the prop shaft. Put a cup under the line.

The fix is simple: Blow into the fuel line until it is clear. The tank is higher than the bilge, so fuel should start flowing. Having someone flip the shutoff valve at the tank is a good idea while you reconnect the line.

A clogged filter is another obvious choice. I assume you've already checked that.

Loosen the bleeding screw on the secondary filter on the engine. When you crank the engine, diesel should start leaking out. If it doesn't, there's a good chance your fuel pump isn't working.

Lastly, if you're cranking for more than 10 seconds, close the water intake through hull so you don't flood the engine. You can re-open it when the engine catches.

Good luck.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.