[C320-list] Yanmar 3GM issues

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Jul 30 07:51:35 PDT 2024

Lou,

I had a similar problem when I bought my boat. Turns out the filter housing is aluminum and the bleed bolt is SS. At some point, a previous owner or mechanic overtightened the bolt and damaged the threads in the filter housing. Ultimately, I had to replace the housing. Was not the cheapest repair, but it did the trick.

And as others have mentioned, the copper crush washers do occasionally need to be replaced after several bleeding procedures. I keep a supply of them on board and every couple of years when I change filters and bleed the system, I'll replace the ones I disturb with fresh ones. They don't randomly start leaking - it's usually when they are loosened and tightened again (disturbed) that they start to leak.

As for cleanup, get some of the oil-zorb pads and put them in your bilge to soak up the diesel. I have found that simple green is a great cleanup solution for oil and diesel after you've discarded the soaked oil-zorb pads.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us