[C320-list] cockpit drain hoses

wdoc1 at aol.com wdoc1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 6 13:42:06 PDT 2024

Thanks for the prompt replies. The wine corks have worked well so far but I will check the condition of hoses and reconnect them to the stern drain!

    On Thursday, June 6, 2024 at 03:21:41 PM EDT, Jeff Hare via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:

 The scupper drain hoses used by the factory in most 320 hulls is that clear hose with the black spiral reinforcement. Can't recall the name, but they are awful to work with unless you heat them.  They go on ok, but you practically have to cut them apart to remove from a fitting.But these also get quite brittle and crack very easily when bent, causing leaks into the bilge instead of out the center stern thruhull.  If you have the original hoses that aren't leaking (yet) it's worth checking to see if they will crack if bent. We found some small cracks in sharp bends that let water into the bilge. Good to replace them, or better yet, just hire a fiberglass guy to remove the scuppers and seal/gelcoat over the holes if you are game.  They really aren't needed with a walk-through transom.  Factory doesn't put them in any of the newer model boats.  Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: wdoc1--- via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> Date: 6/6/24  2:23 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: c320-list at catalina320.com Cc: wdoc1 at aol.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] cockpit drain hoses  Makes a lot more sense- thanks!    On Thursday, June 6, 2024 at 01:39:17 PM EDT, Michael Deslauriers via C320-list <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:    I just checked and they come together and go out a thru hull fitting in thecenter of the stern below the swim deck.On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 1:19 PM Michael Deslauriers <mdeslauriers1.md at gmail.com> wrote:> Hi Bill,>> My scuppers have a hose attached that directs the water out the stern.>> Mike> Gloria> #717 2000>> On Thu, Jun 6, 2024, 1:13 PM wdoc1--- via C320-list <> c320-list at lists.catalina320.com> wrote:>>> DIVERSION, #714/2000, came to me with hoses from the scuppers on either>> side of the helm station draining directly into the aft storage lockers.>> Rather than having rain and seawater slosh around I plugged the openings>> with wine corks!>> Under usual conditions any water that accumulates in the cockpit readily>> drains through the open transom, but last night in windy/rainy conditions,>> a fair amount of water accumulated between the main and aft cockpit seats>> to leeward while going upwind. This cleared with each tack, but made me>> wonder how other boats are set up....are the hoses meant to be joined then>> routed forward directly into the bilge?>> Thanks for your input,>> Bill McConnell>>>